Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Giving to Get From Your Network

As a general rule I make every effort to stay in front of my network on a regular basis. I do this by attending networking events, scheduling breakfast, coffee, lunch, cocktails, a phone call whatever works to catch up with the people who I want (and like) to help. You just never know what people are up to and the only way to find out is to ask. This is also a great way to keep your finger on the barometer of the community as you can ask your network what they are seeing in the economy or your industry.

Of course, you never know when you will need your network. I will often contact my network looking for people with specific skills that I may need or more importantly that I can refer to my TAB Members of other clients. Asking for business leads is always a good thing too. But it is also important to be able to give back to your network by providing them with referrals or help. In the long run, this always pays off in some way shape or form!

Yesterday, I was catching up with someone and as it turned out both of us had a lot to share with one another - personally and professionally. One of the outcomes of the conversation is that I was asked to do a webinar for an event coming up this fall. Why is this a big deal - well first of all I am helping to make an event, the Angel Capital Summit, successful! I am giving back to my network. Second, it is great exposure for me and The Alternative Board - Denver West as I get to talk about something that I have expertise in (building advisory boards). It promotes my brand and builds credibility.

Most people go to networking events to get leads. If this is your goal, most likely you will not have success initially. Networks take time to be developed. You need to get involved, nurture the relationships and give back to the people who are part of your network. This will allow people to get to know you, your leadership and management style, and your company. Mostly people want to get to know "you". Building the relationships builds the networks so that when you need help you can go and ask your network for the appropriate introductions.

Commit to attending at least two networking events per month (or whatever makes sense for you). Go regularly so people have a chance to get to know you. Find an organization that you believe in and volunteer (this does not need to be business related). You will feel good about what you are doing and start building a great network.

Remember, your network won't be able to help much with referrals or other opportunities unless you stay in front of them and give them reason to help you!

No comments:

Post a Comment